Monday, June 8, 2009

Week 2




This is an adventure and I really love it. I have been able to have fried chicken sitting on the street watching life in action, and it is wonderful. I would have never in a million years imagined moving over to Asia less alone South Korea, but I’m here and loving it. A few days ago I was walking to work and as I stood at the cross walk I heard, “Hello,” and when I turned I saw an elderly man waving at me. He was just as happy as he could be, and I returned the hello with a smile. That moment made my day.

I arrived here in Korea with little to no expectations, and I am glad I did because I am able to take things in and not prejudge them in anyway. Every day is a new adventure and I am just glad that I have been chosen for the opportunity.

On Saturday, I took my first trip to Costco and bought some groceries which made my life much easier. I can now cook for myself instead of going out trying to find something Western to eat, which is always much more expensive. I have tried to eat Korean food, but it’s really not my thing. When I go out I will attempt to try things and if it’s good I will continue to eat it, but if it’s not I’m done. However, I try to have an open mind and at least say I tried it and it’s not for me rather than never trying it at all. Although, one thing I will not eat is pork. Eating pork is so against everything I believe in, and I would be sick as a dog. I have not had pork since I was about five years of age, and I am not willing to test those waters.

However, for the most part I really love living here and I learn more and more each day. I took my first subway ride with two transfers alone, and I am so proud of myself. I didn’t get lost and it wasn’t as hard as it looked. I even got to my final destination on time. I thank God I learned to read maps in elementary school cause it’s is saving my life these days.

Today, I even took a different way home just so I could learn a little more about the neighborhood I live in, and I found a high school with a yard in which I can go walking. I also found a mountain with a walking trail, and I went to the top of one side of it. Sure did with my work slacks, blouse, and flip-flops on. It was cool, but next time I will be dressed a little more appropriate.

Well, I think this week has been wonderful. I can’t complain about one thing. Oh, before I forget I even went to see the Korean Heritage Gospel Choir, and that was a sight to see. It was amazing to see Korean’s singing gospel songs, and with soul might I add. If you have not heard them you need to you-tube them because they are the truth. And with that I will say this week has been blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment